Thursday, September 26, 2013

[travels] seattle

I had always been warned about the weather in Seattle, especially by the end of summer.  In anticipation for my trip, I checked the weather, packed my raincoat, and prepared for the rain.  Fortunately, the deluge held out long enough for me to experience the beauty of the city without having to jump through puddles.

Pikes Place Market
I have always loved the energy of markets places and the excitement of discovering a new food item or piece of art.  I love the weekly farmers markets, to the seasonal artisans markets, to the more famous, well-established market places like Reading Terminal Market in Philly to the Lexington Market in Baltimore.  Needless to say, Pikes Place Market was numero uno on my list of things to see in Seattle.  I was not disappointed.  I fell in love with the brilliant bouquets of beautifully arranged flowers and jewelry inspired by the local heritage.  Pikes place also offers foods from diverse countries (we ate Russian piroshky and Turkish delight).   And of course, I visited the original Starbucks.
Proof I visited the first Starbucks

View of waterfront from Pikes Place
Gum wall.  Pretty colors, but mostly just gross.


Seattle Center
Many of the major sights in Seattle are packed together at Seattle Center.  Here you'll find the theater, the Bill and Melinda Gates foundation, Chihuly Museum, EMP museum, and the Space Needle.  Over the few days that we were in town we visited most of these sights.  Views from the Space Needle were unbelievable.

Beautiful view from the Space Needle with clouds sitting perfectly above the horizon
My favorite Chihuly exhibit
Marymoor Park
One aspect that I love about Seattle is how pet-friendly the city is.  This park has an extensive trail that allows dogs to run around unleashed through different terrain like woody areas, open grassy areas,  and over giant mounds.  Anthony's dog, Buddy, loves his trips to the park and this time, he made many new friends.
Buddy, king of the hill

Other highlights include:
1. Ivar's Seafood- went there with some college friends.  Loved the fish prepared in a local style.
2. Chinatown- had delicious ramen, bubble tea, and peaches.  The park had a pingpong table.
3. Capitol Hill- went to Capitol Cidar for some delicious cidar and fun with shuffleboard.  Accidentally aided the other side with one too many points.
4. Nighttime walk through Gasworks Park and Fremont.  Climbed to the top of the hill for unbeatable nighttime views of the city lights.  Enjoyed looking at the hipster shops of the streets of Fremont.  Stopped outside the huge Oktoberfest.

No comments:

Post a Comment