Monday, July 30, 2012

[travels] Istanbul. Not Constantinople.

Ever since we learned about the splendor of the Byzantine empire in US history, I have yearned to visit Istanbul to experience the beauty for myself.  Modern day Istanbul is a very touristy place, and historic sites are clustered in Old City, making it very easy for the tourist to see the major attractions.  Three days is not nearly enough time to see all of Istanbul, but we sure tried our best.  We visited beautiful mosques, palaces, and even an underground cistern.  We took a ferry ride down the Bosphorus River to the Black Sea, leaving from the European side and landing on the Asian side.  We soaked in the culture from watching the whirling dervishes to taking a famous Turkish bath.  We enjoyed treats, like Turkish Delight, baklava, and stretchy Turkish ice cream (complete with show).  I took too many pictures to pick, so I've compiled some of my favorites into a video.


Turkish Bath
Bath houses were an important component of social life.  Not only could you unwind in the hot steam, relax with an olive oil massage, or clean up with an exfoliating scrub from your bath attendant, but you could also catch up on gossip.  It was a place to be seen.  It was common to visit at least a couple of times a week, and with all the offerings, I think I would have liked to just live there.  We visited a traditional Turkish bath to experience the offerings for ourselves.

Turkish Ice Cream
Not only is the ice cream delicious, but it comes with a show.  Here is a video of me trying to get my ice cream.  As a chemical engineer, I was also intrigued by the viscoelastic properties of this stretchy treat.



...more to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment